I’m surrounded by cardboard boxes. Boxes full of all my stuff. I’m moving, did I tell you? Yes, moving… back to live with mum and dad *insert sigh*. No really, it’s not that bad – you’ve heard me talk about what wonderful people my parents are, but what 31-year-old woman is going to be happy about moving back home?? More people to cook for I guess. Mum reminds me “It’s only temporary” because I’m headed overseas soon to London, to work on the 2012 Olympic Games. Yes that’s my real job, I work in television. Then there’s a holiday in the planning – France, Russia and Morocco – a deliciously diverse trip for my tastebuds. Any tips?
I’ve absolutely loved living in this flat. A stones throw from the beach, next to a great cafe and across the road from the best sourdough baker in Sydney, Iggy. Coming home to the sight of the ocean and the smell of salty air, walking the coastline and throwing myself in the sea every chance I got. And I’ve cooked my heart out in its tiny kitchen – the original Larder.
Anyway, back to the boxes… yes, I’m packing up. Most of the boxes say ‘Kitchen stuff’ on them – there’s more in my kitchen than any other room; books, cake stands, electricals, crockery, utensils, bakeware, pots and pans and every spice, sauce and seasoning under the sun. I still managed to bake a Venetian carrot cake in my last 12 hours of living here – yes, I’m mad.
I was trying to use up what’s in the fridge and cupboards and this recipe for Coconut rice from The Year In Food fitted the bill. I added a few extra bits but it’s a great basic recipe that you could put with some poached chicken or salmon or whatever you’re trying to get rid if you’re moving house!
Coconut rice salad with cherry tomatoes and corn
Serves: 4; Prep time: 5 minutes; Cook time: 1 hour (including refrigeration)
1 cup sweet brown rice (or any short grain brown rice)
1 can (420ml) light coconut milk
5cm fresh lemongrass, sliced in half (optional, but worth it)
2.5cm knob fresh ginger (also optional)
1 corn cob
½ cup sliced shallots
2 cups rocket, rinsed
1 cup cherry tomatoes
½ cup coriander, coarsely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp brown rice vinegar (or use a similar, mild vinegar)
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ tsp sea salt
Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
– To prepare the rice, combine the coconut milk, 90ml water, lemongrass, ginger and the rice. Bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer until the liquid has been absorbed. Refrigerate for one hour to cool. Remove the ginger and lemongrass
– While the rice is cooling, prepare the corn. Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Break the corn cob in half. Boil for about five minutes, or cook in microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stand one half of the corn on a cutting board, and using a sharp knife, cut along the length of the cob. Repeat with second half of corn. Set aside
– Next, place a small pan over medium-heat and add a little oil. Saute the shallots until soft
– Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, vinegar, garlic and sea salt until emulsified
– In a large mixing bowl, toss the cooked rice, cherry tomatoes, rocket, corn, shallots and the dressing. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature